Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

Trivia

(Read 9688 times)

jonkaplan

Here we go with a new trivia challenge: Who is the actress that has a connection to the Chan film series, who got married to a writer in 1946 and the best man in the wedding was actor Jack Oakie?

TARNEVERRO

I'm clueless (hint hint)!

GaryLeeOz

I was going to say Kay Linaker but she got married in 1945. (Her Husband, Howard Phillips, was a writer for Bronco and Whirlibirds). So I guess it's Back to the Old Drawing Board.
Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:38:27 pm by GaryLeeOz

TARNEVERRO

And I'm wondering if when Jon says she has a connection to the Chan series does that mean she didn't act in any of the films.

jonkaplan

This actress appeared in one of the Chan films.

robiname

My guess for the Charlie Chan in London actress is Mona Barrie.

jonkaplan

No, not Mona Barrie. This actress acted in films and TV, known more for TV than movies.

TARNEVERRO

Could it be the lady with whom I share a birthday, and is still alive, Elena Verdugo?

jonkaplan

Yes, Elena Verdugo---Sky Dragon and of course, for being on TV`s Marcus Welby.

dr.cream

• Administrator
  • CCMB Webmaster and King
Yes, Elena Verdugo---Sky Dragon and of course, for being on TV`s Marcus Welby.

so who was her writer husband?

TARNEVERRO

Her husband was screenwriter Charles Marion (he did several Bowery Boys films among many others).  Elena and I exchanged birthday greetings for several years, but not the last few years.  I should send her a note and see how she's doing.  Another Chan connection is that she remained very close to Roland Winters, working with him again in TV.  She told me she was very saddened by his death.

Steve O

I looked Elena up on imdb and found she'll be 89 on her next birthday.  Noel Neill, perhaps the only other living female Chan actress just turned 94.  Noel's health is not great these days (she's in a nursing home and looked quite aged in her last public appearance) and I wonder if Elena is having similar issues.