Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

CC's Murder Cruise

(Read 4843 times)

SteveinVa

Watched this last night (okay, early this morning), and noticed something.  When Charlie and the Chief come back to Charlie's office and discover Inspector Duff on the floor, Charlie does a quick check, says "Strangled", and they treat Duff as if he's dead, although they never actually say so.  They certainly don't do anything for him, just leave him there on the floor and don't call an ambulance.  But later, Charlie makes a point of calling from the hotel, only to discover that Duff has, indeed, joined his honorable ancestors.  Maybe something ended up on the cutting room floor?

Steve O

That scene has always puzzled me too - they certainly give the impression that he was dead at the scene.  Between that scene and the one you mentioned there is no indication that Duff is still alive.

Speaking of Murder Cruise, I picked up a box set of the complete Man From UNCLE at Costco recently which of course featured Leo G. Carroll in many episodes (albeit in a relatively small role).  Between the Chans, UNCLE and quite a few Hitchcock films he had a very long and distinguished career.  On Rush's site, I recall one of the members said he acted with Leo in theater back in the 60s and found him to be a pleasure to work with.

Gravelle

Now that you mention it, they probably don't call for an ambulance because "that's what patrolmen are for".  ;)
Just guessing, but still one of my favorite Chans.

rodb

agreed. You would think if he wasn't dead; charlie would stay with him to see if regained consciousness. i know he was trying to get to the hotel to investigate the first strangled victim; but how about checking for a pulse before you left?//