Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

Final 3 Chans are coming

(Read 17464 times)

Steve O

Got mine last night, thanks to Amazon Prime.  So far, FEATHERED SERPENT looks and sounds great!

Awesome news!  Still waiting for mine to ship.   I'm guessing this set does not come with English subtitles; is that correct?

SteveinVa

Absolutely no extras whatsoever.  But the films themselves are excellent prints. A definite improvement over the SKY DRAGON I taped off a fuzzy Los Angeles station back in the 80s!
Now, for the sake of completeness, Ross Martin, anyone?

SteveinVa

Okay, RED DRAGON's a little patchy in spots, and seems to be cobbled together from two or three different sources, but still very watchable.  As an aside, I didn't know FEATHERED SERPENT was a remake of the Three Mesquiteers' RIDERS OF THE WHISTLING SKULL.  Interesting to compare the two...

Steve O

Okay, RED DRAGON's a little patchy in spots, and seems to be cobbled together from two or three different sources, but still very watchable.  As an aside, I didn't know FEATHERED SERPENT was a remake of the Three Mesquiteers' RIDERS OF THE WHISTLING SKULL.  Interesting to compare the two...

Thanks, Steve for all the info!  My copy arrived today and I will spend this hot hot weekend watching it.  The copies ordered from Warners directly are at least pressed discs vs DVD-R.

Regarding Red Dragon, on Rush's site it was reported that Warner had to use both 35mm and 16mm sources on this because there wasn't a complete high quality 35mm print available.

rodb

GREAT to see that people are starting to re-visit the forum.

;D

GaryLeeOz

... The copies ordered from Warners directly are at least pressed discs vs DVD-R.

Not neccessarily. Here's a link to a Videohelp forum discussion when a customer reported receiving a pressed disc from Amazon when he ordered "Ghost Story / Circle of Fear " which is listed as a Sony/Columbia "MOD" disc. My guess is that Warners may do something similar.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/354817-Question-about-Sony-burn-on-demand-disc-but-silvery-bottom

Apparently Sony contracts out the "disc making" and some of these companies may do a small batch of disc pressings instead of burns to DVD-R (yes I find it difficult to believe that making pressings would ever be cheaper than burning to DVD-Rs !).

*** Perhaps if the number of preorders exceeds some threshold, the company may decide to do pressings just to meet the previously announced release date. I'm assuming that burning so many DVD-Rs is a much slower process.

Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:57:22 am by GaryLeeOz

John Cucinotta

I ordered mine from Amazon, with regular shipping.  Should be here by Monday.  I haven't seen a good copy of Red Dragon in a long time, so I will watch that one first. 

GaryLeeOz

I can't believe how good SKY DRAGON looks. It's so much more enjoyable now that I can see all the detail in the picture, especially the facial expressions of the actors. 

Steve O

I can't believe how good SKY DRAGON looks. It's so much more enjoyable now that I can see all the detail in the picture, especially the facial expressions of the actors.

Agree 100%.  My previous copy wasn't all that good so I rarely watched it and never really enjoyed it.  Seeing it in 35mm makes all the difference in the world and the film itself is quite enjoyable now.  The guilty person is still obvious early on but this is compensated by the good cast and by Keye Luke being much more at ease with Winters than he was in Serpent (at least in my opinion).

John Cucinotta

My DVD's arrived, but I haven't had time to watch anything yet.  Possibly over the holiday weekend.  I haven't seen any of these three movies in a long time.  All I have is old Beta copies of each.  We will probably watch "Red Dragon" first, since my wife has never seen that movie.

rodb

My DVD's arrived, but I haven't had time to watch anything yet.  Possibly over the holiday weekend.  I haven't seen any of these three movies in a long time.  All I have is old Beta copies of each.  We will probably watch "Red Dragon" first, since my wife has never seen that movie.

WELL: That is impressive if you can get your wife to watch them you. My wife falls asleep within 5 minutes of any black-n-white mystery movie