Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

Charlie Chan in The Pawns of Death

(Read 6001 times)

John Cucinotta

I was cleaning out desk drawers in my home office when I ran across this paperback book, "The Pawns of Death".  I don't remember where or when I bought it.  It was written by Bill Pronzini and Jeffrey M. Wallmann, and was published by Wildside Press in 2002.  The inside cover also makes reference to this story having been published in Charlie Chan Mystery Magazine in August 1974.

The novel is relatively short, running only 106 pages, with slightly large print and spacing, and you can easily read the book in one sitting.  The story involves Charlie at a championship chess match in Paris, and helping the Prefect of Police solve a murder involving the tournament participants.  The storyline is simple but clever, and the book is interesting to read.  I would highly recommend this book for pleasure reading.  Also, it was nice to see some Chan material that was new to me.

Bob Andersen

I have that book on my Kindle, along with another one "Charlie Chan in the Temple of the Golden Horde". They were both pretty good

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chan-Pawns-Death-Pronzini/dp/1592240100/
http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chan-Temple-Golden-Horde-ebook/dp/B004EHZS1G/

rodb

THANK YOU   for the information about this book and the link to amazon

Ed Kasprowicz

Great info, guys! I'll pick them up on my kindle and give them a read. ...Ed K. :)

channer

This afternoon, while watching a Magnum, P.I. episode that was originally aired in Feb, 1983, I saw that a main character was played by our friend Keye Luke. He of course looked older than we remember him in the Chan movies, but younger than I might have thought. In this episode he played a Japanese-American, not a person of Chinese extraction. It's always interesting to see him in non-Chan movies.
Needless to say, in this script there was not a single "Hey Pop!" Luke left us in Jan, 1991, at age 86.

rodb

that is pretty cool; i will have to look up that Magnum episode.

thank you