Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

The Age-Old Question

(Read 7569 times)
Best Movie Chan:  Oland, Toler or Winters?
Oland13
Toler11
Winters0

Total Members Voted: 23

dr.cream

• Administrator
  • CCMB Webmaster and King
Testing the new site's poll functionality.

dr.cream

• Administrator
  • CCMB Webmaster and King
Anybody want to hypothesize on the reasons people choose one over the others?  If Toler stopped making Chans when Fox did, do you think his numbers would be substantially better than they typically are in our polls? 

My Dad introduced me to the series and he always preferred Toler, but I suspect that is because he and his buddies grew up on the Monograms. 

Ed Kasprowicz

I'm an Oland fan from the get go. I grew up with the Fox Chans, and , while I love all of them (except maybe City in Darkness  :P ) I prefer Warner Oland as Chan. He comes across as being the Chan character of the novels... more loveable, kinder, and soft-spoken than the Toler Chan. Toler comes across as more caustic or abrasive, especially with #2 son. I also think that Oland was the more accomplished actor, and, I enjoy his many other roles. That said, I still think that Toler made a great contribution to the Chan litany, and, that many of the Toler Fox Chans were gems. Monogram is another animal entirely. I enjoy them for what they are, but, nobody's going to confuse them with Fox movies.  ...Ed K.

Gravelle

Speaking of "City In Darkness", I have always been touched by Charlies' reaction at the death of the spies in the plane crash. He is saddened by the loss of life, no matter who it happens to.
Toler succeeded in making Charlie Chan very human.  :-\

Don Mc

While I enjoy all the Chan movies, I must admit I am a Toler fan. The Monogram Chans may lack the story quality of the FOX Chans, but I find them worth watching.

John Cucinotta

I know many people on this Board pick "City in Darkness" as the weakest Fox Chan film.  If you can get past Marcel and his ranting, I think the movie is actually pretty good.  I did not spot the killer until revealed by Chan at the end, and the other actors give fine performances in the film. 

scotthm

I prefer Warner Oland as Chan. He comes across as being the Chan character of the novels... more loveable, kinder, and soft-spoken than the Toler Chan. Toler comes across as more caustic or abrasive, especially with #2 son.
I agree.  I also like that Oland's Chan films had mostly just touches of humor and didn't over do it, while the Toler Chan films tended to add more humor as time went on and I don't care for that as much in these films.

---------------

rodb

like them both. They both had unique personalities on how they portrayed the honorable cc