Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

Question on new board

(Read 7633 times)

sciano

Hi:
     Why are some posts in light blue, others in black?  Blue are hard to read, prefer the black printing.  Also, is it possible to mark things in a way to see only new posts since last visit, like you could do in the old board?

Thanks, getting used to the new board.

Ed

dr.cream

• Administrator
  • CCMB Webmaster and King
Try this--

Go to PROFILE them MODIFY PROFILE, then LOOK AND LAYOUT.

The forum default theme is called The Gray.

Change yours to SMF DEFAULT THEME - CURVE.

See if that doesn't help.

At the top of the page, under where it says "HELLO, (YOUR USERNAME)," isn't there a link that says "Show unread posts since last visit"?

Thanks,

Doc C

sciano

Hi:

Will give it a try.  Also,never saw the unread posts link - works well.

Ed

sciano

Hi:

At the top of the board, there used to be  an area that said Hello (user name) and had a link to unread messages since last visit.  This has disappeared, and I can not find it again.  The original instruction on how to activate that feature (given about) don't work now, sine the Hello has disappeared.  Any help appreciated.

Ed

John Cucinotta

Another question - do all of the "old" members know that we are here?  When I log into the original Chan site, the links take me to the old message board and not this new board.  I wonder if former participants, who only logged in occasionally, are now "lost" and don't know that we are here on this new site.

channer

I have wondered the same thing about "old" members, John. Some of them were extremely well informed about all things Chan; sure don't want to lose their collective store of knowledge. I hope they find their way over here.

sciano

Hi:
      Maybe it's just the time of year, but only 2 posts in the last 10 days?  Is there any sort of mailing list where old member can be sent a link to the new board to try to get them back?  No offense to the new board, but I felt much more comfortable at the ld one.  I know it takes time to get used to things, so I'll be patient, but it would help if there were  more people active here.

Ed

John Cucinotta

Sending a contact e-mail to the "old" members is a great idea.  I also think there must be ways to advertise this site, and draw in new participants.   I found this site back in the late 1990's when I won a Charlie Chan lobby card on eBay, and the eBay site for the item had a link to the CC Message Board.  Otherwise I might not have been on this Board at all.  Is there a way to ask sellers of Chan memorabilia to advertise or promote this site to people who browse their items on eBay or other similar sites?  Might get things rolling again.

kcor1953

Try this--

Go to PROFILE them MODIFY PROFILE, then LOOK AND LAYOUT.

The forum default theme is called The Gray.

Change yours to SMF DEFAULT THEME - CURVE.

See if that doesn't help.

[...]

Thanks,

Doc C

I tried this just now and no such options appear. The theme is simply called default theme.

The reason I tried it is I just a bit ago made my first post here and found I cannot see the verification characters offered by the board posting system, the hard to read characters we must type in to show we are not robots.

It took about three trial and error tries to guess them. I asked for a fresh iteration of them but that did not help. Looking at the ones on this page I can make out only half of them.

And the 2 fill in the blank questions are annoying. Is all this verification necessary?

ADDED: Sure enough I guessed wrong. 2nd try.