Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

Charlie Chan on television

(Read 10042 times)

Ed Kasprowicz

We recently got a new channel on our cable lineup. It's just called "Movies" and they seem to run a lot of nice old titles. This weekend they,re airing CC in Monte Carlo, CC in Honolulu, and Thank you , Mr. Moto. Now, that's a Christmas gift that I don't have to return! ...Ed K.

John Cucinotta

Ed, which cable provider do you have?  I have Time-Warner, and I don't see it on their line-up.

ChanPhan

Verizon FIOS includes a channel called Movies! on their channel 477.

rodb

that is great news. hopefully there will be a way for time warner to pick this up

sciano

Hi:
       Optimum (cablevision) just picked up this sation within the last few weeks.  I had seen it a my sister's (she has fios) and was hopeful we would, get it.

Ed

Ed Kasprowicz

They have a website at "moviestvnetwork.com" It should tell you who's carrying them and where, as well as their schedule. I was able to catch the end of the Mr. Moto yesterday, and, they definitely have commercials. Cablevision (my carrier) groups them with TVLand, COZY, AntennaTV, etc. so it's a lot like television from 50 years ago, except that the picture quality is much better. Since most of us loathe the reality programming, and other fluff that passes for TV entertainment these days, I have to say that I find myself watching these retro stations more and more. ...Ed K.

John Cucinotta

I agree with your comments about enjoying the "Retro Stations".  We have Me-TV which shows old re-runs that I enjoy.  Also on Saturday night they carry Svengoolie and his horror movies.  It's fun to look back at simpler times, and re-watch shows that were hits in their day.

GaryLeeOz

But it isn't really like TV from 50 years because there's a lot more of the original program cut out to fit a few more commercials in, eg. what was originally a 26min TV show is now only 21 or 22 mins. At least when the streaming channels (eg. Hulu) show them they are "more or less" intact.

My other complaint is that the retro channels (and streaming channels) won't show any programs that weren't huge hits in their day, eg. why can't I see "the New Perry Mason" or "the Trials of O'Brien"  or "Grindl" ?  OK, "the New Perry Mason" wasn't so great but there were a few episodes that I liked.

Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:25:58 pm by GaryLeeOz

sciano

Hi:
      If you get Movies! network (either on cable or over the air) they list CC in Egypt and Mr Moto take a Chance as being on several times in February.

Ed
  Check http://moviestvnetwork.com for the schedule.

Ed Kasprowicz

And, from what I've watched, they interrupt their movies for commercials, but, show the complete movie "not edited for time."  At any rate, I'm enjoying what I've seen, so far. This afternoon they're airing In Harms Way, and giving it 3 1/2 hours. ...Ed K.