Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

Mystery Month on TCM and an Oland film that's unfamiliar to me

(Read 6785 times)

Ed Kasprowicz

Hi friends...  TCM is running all sorts of older mystery and detective films in June. You can check the schedule on their website.  On 6/23 at 12:15pm, they've listed a film titled "Before Dawn" from 1933, featuring Warner Oland. I can't remember having seen it before, but, that just might be my little grey cells letting me down, lol. Later on that afternoon, they're airing 7 Keys to Baldpate, the 1947 version, which was written by Earl Derr Biggers.  Earlier in the month, they've scheduled a showing of one of the older versions of 7 Keys. At any rate, set your DVR's to record the ones you're so inclined. ...Ed K

Ed Kasprowicz

Before Dawn is also showing tomorrow, 6/3, at 6am edst. ...Ed K.

John Cucinotta

Hi, Ed.  I haven't seen or thought about this film in many years.  Long ago, it aired on a TV station in Syracuse, and I have an old Betamax copy of the film.  Like some of his other earlier movies, Oland plays a sinister character.  The storyline is interesting, and the movie is worth watching.   

Ed Kasprowicz

I caught it earlier in the month when TCM ran it, and enjoyed it very much. It was a good, "old house" mystery, with Oland doing his usual superb acting. It reminded me of "Drums of Jeopardy."  ...Ed K.

John Cucinotta

"Drums of Jeopardy" is another old Warner Oland film that I saw years ago, and I probably have an old Betamax copy somewhere in the family room closet.  Like "Before Dawn", Oland plays a sinister character.  The Russian setting in "Drums of Jeopardy" creates a different atmosphere, and this is a decent movie to watch once or twice.