Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

Slightly OT - Nero Wolfe

(Read 7963 times)

John Cucinotta

A couple of years ago I posted a few messages about three Nero Wolfe novels I read, written by Robert Goldsborough.  I recently acquired a copy of "Murder, Stage Left" which is another Wolfe mystery written by the same author.  I finished reading this book last week.

Like the other Goldsborough novels I posted about, this was also a well-written book, but I would rank it a little below the other stories I read.  Without ruining the book for others, I can say that the story starts out with Wolfe and Goodwin investigating a possible crime, and then goes into a related crime.  Many suspects are therefore interviewed more than once which makes the story somewhat redundant.  I still highly recommend this book, and I will be looking for other Wolfe mysteries by this author.

John Cucinotta

To help pass the time during the pandemic shut-down, I have read almost all of the Nero Wolfe novels written by Robert Goldsborough.  As I have posted in the past, these books are a pleasure to read.  They are well-written, and follow the general theme of the Rex Stout books.  They are set in later time periods, and make reference to the Guggenheim museum being built, and the UN building being built.  In some stories Archie even uses a computer.  The books are easy reading, and have interesting murder mysteries that hold your attention. 

If you are new to these books, there are two that I would especially recommend reading:

"Archie in the Cross Hairs" is probably my favorite story in this series.  There is a more complicated storyline, with two mysteries occurring simultaneously, and a surprise (for me) solution at the end.

"Archie Meets Nero Wolfe" is a prequel to the entire Nero Wolfe series of books, movies, and TV shows.  This novel tells the story of Archie arriving in Manhattan, and how he eventually earns a position with Nero Wolfe.  Although the mystery element is not as strong as other Wolfe novels, the storyline is very different and I highly recommend this book.

I have found most of these Nero Wolfe novels on eBay, and a used-book store in my area also had a few of the titles.  Enjoy !

rodb

it is nice to see an occasional message on the board. i wish i had your patience to read; but i need the visual when i get into the mystery genere

Ed Kasprowicz

There's nothing I like better than reading the original story and seeing how it compares to the filmed version. ...Ed K.