Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

Porkchop 711/Chop Suey 108

(Read 8438 times)

OldMovieFan

• Law is honest man's eyeglass to see better.
Hi everyone,

Watched "Dangerous Money" last night and we've had lots of rain today so I keep thinking ....  why the code names? Do they have any military significance? Or is there other reasons to the numbers? I think pork chop is Chattanooga due to the common diet, and Chop Suey as well for Jimmy. But the numbers.... any ideas?

Tysm
Old Movie Fan

rodb

not sure of the  answer?

I am still looking for an answer on how alan colby (who was threatened on the boat) was able to get himself back to his estate to be murdered in Charlie Chan's secret?

John Cucinotta

I haven't watched "Dangerous Money" in a long time, but I'll watch it again to refresh my memory.  I remember the use of code names when Chattanooga and Jimmy are using walkie-talkies and "investigating" the people on the ship.  I always thought that the "porkchop" and "chop suey" referred to ethnic food stereotypes, and the numbers were just added to make the code names seem more mysterious. 

There are several good books that have been written about the Chan movies.  I read these books years ago, but I don't remember this specific issue being addressed by any of the authors.  I used to have copies of "A Guide to Charlie Chan Films" by Charles Mitchell, and "The Charlie Chan Film Encyclopedia" by Dr. Howard Berlin.   Years ago, I lent these books to friends, who then lent them to other friends, etc.  (My books are probably sitting on someone's bookshelf across town, forgotten and covered with dust!)  If you can find these books, perhaps on eBay or a local used-book store, they are great reading material and supply good insight into the Chan films.

OldMovieFan

• Law is honest man's eyeglass to see better.
Hi John,

I'm with you on that point, it seems likely because of all the things I have looked into show nothing otherwise.  As to rodB If I remember (and that's getting harder as life progresses) Alan got off the ship and back home.

I watched "Dark Alibi " with friends that came in from out of town last night. Boy the clarity on my new video was Awesome! What a cast of characters in this film.  But that is another discussion...I'll point to it in my next post.

TYSM for your input both of you  on this attempt to breathe life into your little home of memories of the things we enjoyed from the Honorable detective. 😏

Till next time,

Old Movie Fan

Henry (number one son)

All,

Re: Allen Colby... the ship he was on sunk at sea. He clung to wreckage and was picked up by another boat (without a radio to wire messages to shore) and eventually made it to the mainland. Only to be killed at his estate.

rodb

i still wonder who was threatening him on the boat before it sank? how was he not picked up with the others? how did the murderer know exactly when he would arrive back at the estate? i wonder if there was a book version that helped explain?

thanks

ChanPhan

The radio call signs are based on a format common in the Army back then.  Fifty years ago or so, I was a platoon leader in a support company at a US Army branch school.  Our company had call signs that identified the company (the words) and position (commander, XO, etc.).  Our call sign was something like Urgent Riders so our CO was Urgent Riders 6.  As platoon leader of the 4th platoon, I was Urgent Riders 46 (Four-Six).  Later as Operations Officer for the company, I was Urgent Riders 3.  While not sure of the exact words for the support company call signs, I do know that when I assumed command of the Headquarters, Headquarters Company (HHC), I was Nifty Elbows 6.  Hey, might be a good screen name on message boards.  :)

So Pork Chop 711 and Chop Suey 108 are loosely in the format common in the Army probably going back into the 1940s and 1950s. 

rodb

interesting

thank goodness for all of the charlie chan movies to help pass the time away during this shut down