Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

HM&M TV Cable Channel

(Read 14377 times)

John Cucinotta

Now that I have retired from my long career, I can finally catch up on a few things, including my love of mystery books and movies.  I have begun watching the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Channel (which is different than the regular Hallmark Movie Channel seen on many cable TV packages).  There are several very nice mystery series that my wife and I enjoy, especially the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries.  For those not familiar with these movies, the Aurora Teagarden character is a librarian in the fictional city of Lawrenceton, Washington, and solves crimes, one step ahead of the police.  The storylines are very interesting and well-scripted, featuring Aurora and several recurring supporting actors, as well as guest stars.  Aurora is played by Candace Cameron Bure, who is perfect in the part, and there is also a strong regular supporting cast.  I highly recommend these movies to all mystery fans.   If you are new to this mystery series, start by watching the episode called "A Bone to Pick", since it was the first movie in the series, and introduces the main characters.  It also tells some other information, such as the backstory between Aurora and the police detectives, and in general helps to set the scene for the rest of the films. 

There are several other good mystery series on this cable channel.  I also enjoy the "Garage Sale Mystery" series starring Lori Loughlin, but given her recent legal troubles I don't know where this series is headed!   Future discussion material ! 

Does anyone else like this cable channel, and the mystery films it shows?  Which other series are worth watching?

Chris Ellis

Hi: We do not get this channel up in Canada but we do get the movies in these series played on Canadian channels here such as the Woman's TV Network (I guess because they feature female detectives!). My partner and I enjoy them as they are often mysteries tied into family oriented events (another reason why Chan movies were so popular) and we do like garage sales and collectibles...but I have read that given her troubles Lori Loughlin has been disowned by the Hallmark Channel. Chris. PS I am also now retired so can spend more time on line!

OldMovieFan

• Law is honest man's eyeglass to see better.
Wow thanks John for the lead on these. Youtube has the available to view. Don't do television much anymore. We have Roku so we watch stuff on it.  Will give them a try.

Old Movie Fan

John Cucinotta

The Aurora Teagarden movies, and the other mystery series on the HM&M Channel, are likely to be available on other media sources.  I'm old-fashioned (according to my adult-aged children), and I still have cable TV.  In our area, the cable provider is Spectrum (formerly known as Time-Warner), and this channel is seen on Channel 629 on my cable provider.  Good luck searching for these movie series, and I think you will enjoy them. 

John Cucinotta

If you are interested in starting to watch Aurora Teagarden Mysteries, the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Channel is showing "A Bone to Pick" tomorrow (Sunday) at 5pm Eastern time.  As I said in a previous posting, this is the first movie in the series, and I would recommend watching this movie before seeing the other Aurora Teagarden movies.  Enjoy!!

OldMovieFan

I watched this today after fellowship with my congregation.  I really enjoyed it,  great supporting cast of characters. I like the fact it gives you a sense of comfort as you watch.  So unusual in this modern day of television. Marilu Henner looks good, and Barbara Wallace character is likeable. And the lead has grown up from her television days. I've found a new show thanks to you.

Tysm. Old  Movie Fan

Ed Kasprowicz

I'll have to check and see if we get this channel. Every now and then, the cable company sneaks in a new station. I must say, I'm really enjoying some of the new British mystery series on PBS, particularly The Bletchly Circle, and, Unforgotten.  ...Ed K.

OldMovieFan

OOoooo…..The Bletchy Circle is very good watched season 1 episode 1 the evening. Between John and you Ihave picked up some neat additions to my viewing habits.

Old Movie Fan

"Humility only defense against rightful blame."

Chris Ellis

I agree, Bletchly Circle is superb...will look for Unforgotten. Chris.

John Cucinotta

A new Aurora Teagarden Mystery aired recently called "A Game of Cat and Mouse", beginning a new "season" of this series.  I really enjoyed this movie, and recommend watching it.  The major players have returned, but there are a few changes in the supporting cast.  Aurora's previous boyfriend Martin has left the cast, and Aurora's new boyfriend is a neighbor who is a professor of psychology at the local college.  Aurora's cousin Philip, who was in a prior episode last season, now has a bigger role, and Aida's old boyfriend John is gone from the cast.  The story is a well-scripted mystery, and I did not spot the murderer until the end.  Two more new Aurora Teagarden movies will air on Sundays during August.  Certainly a nice way to spend a Sunday evening !

John Cucinotta

I just finished watching the latest Aurora Teagarden Mystery called "An Inheritance to Die For".  This is an excellent movie, and I think that this is the best of the Aurora Teagarden Mystery Movies that they have produced.  The storyline is somewhat more complex than some of the prior episodes, and there is a strong supporting cast.  I highly recommend this movie.  If you are new to this series, this movie may be harder to follow since you don't know all of the regular characters.  As I previously posted, it is best to first watch the episode called "A Bone to Pick", which provides a good introduction to the series.

rodb

thanks  for the update

John Cucinotta

Recently, I finally had time to watch the last of the three Aurora Teagarden movies produced last summer and fall, called "A Very Foul Play".  In this movie, Aurora, her mother, her cousin Philip, and several members of the Real Murders Club are at a beautiful mountain resort attending a mystery novel convention.  Also in attendance are Lawrenceton police chief Lynn Smith and her detective-husband Arthur Smith.  There is a murder, and Aurora's cousin Philip is charged with the crime.  Aurora and her friends must solve the crime ahead of the local police, who seem certain that Philip is guilty.   This movie is different than the previous Aurora Teagarden mysteries, not only in the mountain resort setting, but also having the Lawrenceton police working with Aurora, rather than resenting her intrusion into the investigation.  This is a nice movie to watch on a cold, late winter evening, and I highly recommend the film. 

As I have previously posted, if you are new to the Aurora Teagarden Mystery series, start by watching the first film called "A Bone to Pick"' and the subsequent movies and characters will be easier to follow.