Charlie Chan Message Board

News:Do the Chan.

How Does A Detective Find the Missing Fans of Charlie Chan?

(Read 52570 times)

Chris Ellis

First Winters film Title Card...The Chinese Ring (1947)...

Chris Ellis

Docks of New Orleans (1948) Title Card...

Ed Kasprowicz

I don't think that anyone is going to mistake the Monograms for The Black Camel, ot Treasure Island. ... Ed K.

Chris Ellis

The Shanghai Chest (1948) Title Card...I think this is one of the best designed Monogram cards or at least, I like the look of it...

Chris Ellis

The Golden Eye (1948) Title Card...

Chris Ellis

The Feathered Serpent (1948) Title Card...

John Cucinotta

Chris, looking at these lobby cards featuring Roland Winters stimulated an interest in watching a few of his movies this past week.  I re-watched "The Shanghai Chest" and "The Docks of New Orleans".  Although I think that Winters is the weakest Chan actor, I think these films have better scripts than many of the Toler Monogram movies.   

Chris Ellis

HI John:

Yes, I should rewatch them too as I have not done so for  a long time and I do have the commercial releases although I have not had a chance to watch them! They could have better plots because they are mainly reworking of earlier films including two in the Mr. Wong series (Chinese Ring is a reworking of Mr. Wong in Chinatown and Docks of New Orleans is a reworking of Mr. Wong, Detective) while The Feathered Serpent is a reworking of a Three Mesquiteers western called Riders of the Whistling Skull -- although the screenplay writers can be listed as by different people on these films Scott Dunlop was involved in most.

My only contact with the late Ken Hanke who wrote a book on the Chan films was to provide him with a copy of Riders of the Whistling Skull, which I had sought out to see how it compared with The Feathered Serpent -- he had never seen it. Anyway, I am reminded of someone's comment in one of the mystery movies' books of when Toler took over the role from Oland: Toler was not as good an actor so they tried to make up for it by improving the plots and although I am an Oland fan I do like the plots of films such as Treasure Island, Wax Museum and Castle in the Desert which unlike several other Toler entries, are not reworkings of original Earl Derr Biggers novels.

With that...Sky Dragon (1949) Title card to end the real series....

OldMovieFan

• Law is honest man's eyeglass to see better.
Hello everyone,

Been busy with life and first chance I had to get here. Love that it's hopping with comments and pictures. 😁 Always wanted a film  of Biggers  book The Agony Column I enjoyed the book. The Seven Keys to Baldpate got 3 takes and only one hit for me

Oldmoviefan

Henry (number one son)

Hello fellow Chan fans. Henry (number one son in books) checking back in after a long hiatus. Yes I too was one of the originals to discover Kurt's site back in 1998. Happy to see some of the long time contributors are still around. Hard to believe it has been over 20 years since Kurt started this site. Coincidentally my finding this site coincided with my discovery of the wonders of the World Wide Web itself.

Henry (number one son in books)

Chris Ellis

Yes, some of us are still around...I also discovered this site early and also when I first started using the web...glad to hear from you. Chris Ellis.

Brian L.

I'm still around from 1997. Yes the Internet was just coming around at that time. It was quite a new experience. I remember some of the first Chan Message Board members were comparing the Chan films and we were learning where to buy these films.  I believe the Key Video videotapes were available but there were only several films at that time offered.  I do remember you guys, Henry Number One Son and Chris Ellis from the very ancient days of this site.

I remember the big dustup when the Fox Movie Channel pulled them off the cable TV because there were complaints of political incorrectness.

And does anyone remember a member who was a female Canadian Mountie ? I believe her name was Jillian but I could be wrong. 

Chris Ellis

Hello...good to see some of the old crowd still around! Yes, I remember Jillian...she was from western Canada, I believe Alberta, and somewhat opinionated! Cheers, Chris.

John Cucinotta

I remember reading postings from Jillian.   I think her full name was Jillian Stone, and I think she lived and worked in a city in Manitoba, Canada, with the Royal Canadian Police.  It's been a long time since she posted anything, and my memory may be wrong !!

OldMovieFan

• Law is honest man's eyeglass to see better.
Yes I remember Jillian, she wo9uld attend the films on Monday night "Review" at Rush site with Virginia and the others. Nice to see some of the "old group" remember posting on CC and then coming back to get the goodie the following day...boy what a joy that was. :)

Old Movie Fan