When did you first discover the CCMB?
pre-200012
2001-20091
2010-20170

dr.cream

• Administrator
  • CCMB Webmaster and King
Hello, Dr. Cream here.

I know there's not a lot of action on the CCMB anymore, but I went ahead and updated the software and changed the appearance of the site today.

This October will be the 20th anniversary of CharlieChan.net, FYI.

Those that are still with us--  cheers!  :)

Bob Andersen

I've been a lurker and once-in-a-while contributor to this message board for almost all those 20 years. Thanks so much for maintaining it, Dr. Cream!

ChanPhan

I don't really know when I first found this group, but it seems like it was quite awhile ago.  I enjoyed the posts back when there was far more action on the board and I learned a good bit about the movies and the actors. 

I first discovered the Chan movies in the 1950s when they appeared once a week on a channel we could pick up out of York, PA on UHF channel 43.  They showed the Monogram Sidney Toler Chans, so for a long time, I preferred Toler as Chan.  Once hooked, I tried to catch a Chan movie on TV at every opportunity.  I don't recall catching many Chan movies in the 1960s, which I spend mostly in college and grad school.  In the 1970s, I again found a TV station that regularly showed Chan movies and I got to see some I didn't recall seeing in the 1950s, including the older Warner Oland Chans. 

I was overjoyed when the movies started coming out on professional DVDs. 

Ed Kasprowicz

Thanks, Dr. Cream.  This site did more for the popularity of Charlie Chan than any other single factor.,and, I believe, led directly to the release of all of the available movies. I re-watch the entire series every winter, even though I know the dialogue by heart. Here's to another 20 years! ...Ed K.

Henry (number one son)

Dr. Cream (Kurt),

Even though things have slowed down on this Board I sure appreciate that you have kept it active. Happy 20th Anniversary indeed. Seems like only yesterday (1998) that I discovered this Board and all the treasures it contained. Sad to think of all those that have passed away over the past 20 years.

Steve O

Thanks, Kurt!  I love the new look and agree with Judge Ed that this site was instrumental in  highlighting the popularity of the movies and securing the eventual release of the films on DVD.  It showed that there was a common and dedicated group of Chan buffs and gave us a collective voice.

Since this message board started we've seen multiple books written (including several by our own Dr. Berlin), Rush Glick's fantastic site continues to dazzle, and of course all of the existing Chan films, including the Monograms, are available for legal purchase on high quality commercial DVDs.  Long timers remember when we were happy to get bootleg copies of worn 16mm prints.

This site also helped buffs discover and rediscover other favorite film sleuths that previously flew under the radar.  For me, it was the Hildegarde Withers films which I had never heard of before this board.  I now have the commercial DVDs and most of the books. 

The great Doug Palmer (still doing well in his chosen profession) brought many favorites to us via Tory's Mystery Movies and helped us broaden our horizons even further.

I do miss the active banter and wonder if folks like Jon Kaplan and Bob Meehl (Tarneverro) are still with us.  In the internet world you never know if someone stopped posting due to time contraints or more somber reasons. 

Thanks again and here's to the second 20 years!

Steve

rodb

thank you for updating the site
 ;D

Mr. Manderley

There isn't much activity these days, but I think we need to keep in mind that in the early days of the internet, there was no other place to go to discuss the movies. Now there are several Chan related websites, discussion boards, and FB groups-and FB has really changed how we communicate. The FB groups have 1000-1500 members. All the movies have now come out on DVD. The CCMB is less active, but maybe that's because of it's success. Kurt deserves credit for giving CC fans a forum when there was no other place to go. And who would think some of us would still be here talking 20 years later? Amazing. 

Ed Kasprowicz

I miss Doug Palmer, too. Also Rick Palmer, from Canada. They were 2 of my trading buddies. ...Ed K.

GaryLeeOz

Happy 20th birthday, CCMB and Thanks to Dr. Cream for keeping it up and running.

Ed Kasprowicz

On a related note, I was looking for some missing Lionel catalogs and happened to come across the Jan. through Nov., 1997 printouts of the Charlie Chan Message Board.  I also see where Hamilton Booksellers has at least 3 of the original Chan novels available in paperback. I love that company and buy books and dvds by the carton from them. ... Ed K. :o